Sunday, June 26, 2011

Alchemy of Glazes

Ceramic Jewelry Pieces Before Glazing

Jewelry Pieces In The Process of Getting Glazed

Jewelry Pieces After Bing Glazed and Fired


MDE: One of the things that I find interesting about the process of making ceramics and pottery is the alchemical changes that the glaze undergoes. There are many glazes that I would never be able to guess what color they will turn to upon being exposed to the high temperatures of the kiln if I haven't seen the label and test-fire pieces ahead of time. My wife has a better idea of what a piece will look like after firing, but even she is surprised by some of the pieces that come out of the kiln. It is one of the reasons that I think of pottery as a form of alchemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on posts older than fourteen days are moderated--unless there is an outbreak of trolls selling their own brand of spammy goodness, in which case, I will go back to moderating all comments. Remember my cats do not like being petted by smelly trolls or eating spam--and they are the ones that I have to please. Meow!